Monday, February 4, 2013

Washi Tape School Desk Upcycle

I saw a picture in Mollie Makes magazine over the Christmas holidays of a washi wrapped dining table and it was the inspiration for a desk for Matilda.

First a trip to the tip shop for an old school desk (with the lift up lid and storage underneath). I was expecting to have to hunt for one of these but the op shopping Gods were smiling on me and $5 later we had the bones of a desk! Not pretty but perfect at the same time.

Two cans of white spray paint from the hardware store (about $8) and the grey and rust disappeared. I'm thankful the original desk was a pale colour because my spray painting skills leave much to be desired!!

I was hoping to just washi wrap the original desk top but the one we had was warped and grotty. A small sheet of MDF (about $25) and some nifty routering from the Mr and we had a new desktop. It was better in the end as the washi tape is transparent and the bright blue top would have looked bad.

Then I attacked the top with a box of washi tape that I'd had in the craft room since last Christmas and not used. I copied the colour sequence on the packaging and just wrapped the desk top - and I love it. I used a MT Light Pastels 10 Tape Box Set that I bought from Notemaker. Also available on Etsy. I have about half the tape left on each roll so could probably do another one!

Once I'd wrapped the whole desk I just cut around the pencil groove with a blade and screwed the top back onto the desk.

It's back to school for Matilda on Tuesday and her own desk should be good incentive to practice her writing!


Ellieboo said...

The desk looks fantastic Ange - what a great job. I would definitely want to sit and write at that desk.

Sarah said...

That is FANTASTIC! I recon you should find an old desk seat and washi the seat! Such a great idea!

Cath @mybeardedpigeon said...

That looks awesome!!!

Lavanya D'cruz said...

I was looking for articles on uses of washi tape and I came across yours inspiring read. You indeed gave me some interesting ideas. Thanks man!

Bren + Lucy said...

This is such an inspirational story to share...

Best Christmas Gifts 2015
Luxury Christmas Baskets

Gift buying should never be overwhelming!